Friday, August 12, 2011

A Taste in Music

Or rather, my taste in music.
My taste in music has grown over the years; when I was younger, about all I would listen to was Christian music, and even then I was very particular about it - it had to be Steven Curtis Chapman, Chris Tomlin, Third Day, or some such very well known band that my parents enjoyed. Then people started getting me to listen to other music. Like. Pop music. Which terrified me at first. Yes. Really. But as I began to discover new music, I found that, hey, it's actually pretty good. But the stuff that I first started listening to was stuff like Taylor Swift and popular Miley Cyrus songs. Mostly just pop music, and a little country here and there.
That has changed again quite recently. I've found that tho, yes, I still do enjoy pop music (-gasp-), I'm much more likely to enjoy something along the lines of alternative or singer/songwriter or some rock music than I will enjoy pop music.
So. With that being said, here are a few of my favorite bands and singers, why I like them, aannndd if you're even slightly interested, some songs by them that I highly recommend. Soherewego....


Band: Parachute
Genre: Alternative Rock
A tidbit about why I like them: I've honestly only been listening to this band for a matter of a few months. But ever since I heard the first song I ever heard by them, I was in love with them. Will's voice is so unique and beautiful. Their music pretty much sums up what I like in a band, and that is... okay this is gonna sound weird... but my favorite kind of music is the kind that sounds like a big city. What I mean is whenever I'm listening to "White Dress" or "Kiss Me Slowly" or some other song by them I'm automatically transported to Chicago or New York. It just sounds like something that I would listen to riding through some big city at night. They may not be very popular, but I honestly can't imagine why they aren't, because their music just seems so perfect to me. And of course it doesn't hurt that they're all gorgeous. ;) But honestly, their music just sets me into this nearly perfect mood. I'm pretty much hooked.
My favorite songs by them: She (For Liz), White Dress, What I Know, Kiss Me Slowly

Band: Lifehouse
Genre: Alternative Rock
A tidbit about why I like them: Of course their most popular song is "You and Me", and I do love that song, but what really hooked me was their song "Everything." Ever since I heard that song, I have loved this band. My boyfriend randomly bought me their first CD a few months ago, and at first I wasn't incredibly impressed with their music. Most of it sounded the same. But the more I listened to the songs, and really listened, the more I fell in love with their music. I discovered that not only was their music the most perfect driving music in the world, but their lyrics were so filled with emotion. Also, like Will from Parachute, Jason has such a unique voice. It can make you want to laugh, cry, whatever. Their music is so filled with feeling and real emotion I can't help but love it.
My favorite songs by them: Blind (listen to this one. just do it.), Everything, Halfway Gone, You and Me


Band: Paul Colman Trio
Genre: Christian
A tidbit about why I like them: I guess I'm honestly a tad biased simply because I've grown up listening to this band. We have two of their CDs, tho I've only really listened to one all that much. But I must make a statement: the Newsboys are overrated. Yeah, that Australian Christian band. They're overrated. Because Paul Colman Trio is an Australian Christian band too, who honestly have a great deal better musical taste, and Paul has a fantastic voice. They're one of the best bands I know, and definitely one of the best Christian bands I know. Their music has the same effect Parachute has on me... it just makes me feel like I'm in some big city. Nooo idea why. But they're fantastic. You should go listen to them.
My favorite songs by them: It's honestly almost impossible to pick only a few favorites because they're all my favorites, but I suppose they would be - I'll Be With You, Solution, Into Your Arms, I Dream.
Tho, really, go buy their CD "One." I'm serious. Go do it now. Now. I mean it. Or I'll come and find you. And make you buy it.

Band: Jonas Brothers
Genre: Pop
A tidbit about why I like them: STOP. I see where you're going. You're running away screaming because I just said that the Jonas Brothers is one of my favorite bands. It's true. But you should stop running because I have an explanation to make. And that simply is: I'm not one of those crazy girls who runs around screaming "JONAS BROTHERS AHHHH." Nope. Yesh, they are quite beautiful, but I really don't care that much. I like them because I adore their music. Not really their earlier work, but their most recent album, Lines Vines and Trying Times is a wonderful work of music. And yes, I'm serious. Just because they're some post-popular boy band doesn't mean they can't play music. Because they can. These guys really are talented, and I appreciate that. Just because I tend to enjoy some chill alternative rock music doesn't mean I don't know a good pop song when I hear it. So that is my explanation. And stop freaking out. I'm serious.
My favorite songs by them: When You Look Me In The Eyes, Fly With Me, Black Keys, Turn Right

Band: U2
Genre: Alternative Rock
A tidbit about why I like them: Simple - they're an 80s British band that has the best taste of music ever. And that is all I have to say about these wonderful men who know how to put a tune together.
My favorite songs by them: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With or Without You, Bullet the Blue Sky

Singer: Chris Rice
Genre: Christian/Folk
A tidbit about why I like him: This guy is my childhood. I grew up with this guy. He's always been one of my favorite singers in the whole world. There's really nothing special about him. He just plays some chill laid-back music. It sounds like the kind of thing you would wake up to on a bright early summer morning. And I have so many memories tied to the songs that he plays. The only bad thing I can I say about him is if you're looking for deep theological Christian music, he isn't the guy. Tho many of his songs are "Christian" they're not very deep. But if you want just some music to chill to, this is the guy to go for. But I'm going to warn you right off the bat: this guy is gonna make you smile.
My favorite songs by him: The Other Side of the Radio, 8th Grade, Circle Up, Nonny Nonny, My Cathedral, Everything's OK, Deep Enough to Dream, Smell the Color 9, The Face of Christ, Home Tonight, Smellin' Coffee, The Power of the Moment, Live By Faith, Lemonade, Wind and Spirit, Missin You.
Yeah... sorry for that many songs. But I adore these songs. If you're interested in getting a CD, get Run the Earth and Watch the Sky, and if you're a Christmas nerd like I am, get his "The Living Room Sessions: Christmas."

Singer: John Mayer
Genre: Blues Rock/Acoustic Rock
A tidbit about why I like him: John Mayer had me with "Why Georgia." There is nothing I appreciate more than a good chill song that I can listen to on the road. And this song is absolutely one of those songs. And his music is just like that. Again, his voice is pretty unique. And his skills on the guitar never fail to impress me. I don't know a lot of songs by him, but the ones that I do know I really adore. They're the kind of songs that I can get stuck in my head and not be annoyed. His soulful music is something that I can't help but love.
My favorite songs by him: Why Georgia, Half of My Heart, Free Fallin (not by him, but I love his cover), Heartbreak Warfare

Singer: Josh Groban
Genre: Operatic Pop
A tidbit about why I like him: If you can reach perfection in singing, this guy has reached it. I've never heard a voice that can make your soul want to fly more than this guy. Every time I listen to his music, I feel like I'm taken to some chill place where I can just sit and think. The soft piano, the perfect opera voice, the melodic movement of the music is near to perfection. The first song I listened to by him was "You Raise Me Up," and as one of my friends Alana continued to go crazy about his music, I kept listening to him more and more, and I became more and more impressed. I haven't listened to all of his songs, but I have to put him as one of my favorite artists simply because his music has made such an impression on me. I really appreciate the realness of his music.
My favorite songs by him: February Song, You Raise Me Up, Bells of New York City

Band: Coldplay
Genre: Alternative Rock
A tidbit about why I like them: As I said about Josh Groban, if perfection of a band can be reached, Coldplay has reached it. I remember the first time I heard of them was when my cousin told me about their song "Viva la Vida," and I thought the lyrics were weird, so I ignored them, generally, as a band. But I kept listening to the song, and I liked it. A lot. I slowly began to hear more and more of their songs, and although I still don't own all of their CDs, I can say without hesitation that Coldplay is one of my top favorite bands. Ever. Their music just sounds like British rock, and there is almost nothing better than British rock. They have the ability to want to make you dance and the ability to make you want to just sit and think. If a band has the ability to do that, they've got to be pretty talented. Coldplay. Rocks.
My favorite songs by them: Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, The Scientist, Violet Hill, Life in Technicolor ii

Singer: Steven Curtis Chapman
Genre: Christian
A tidbit about why I like him: Last of his kind, I promise... but I had to include one more of the guys I grew up with. He's the guy that nearly every Christian will recognize right off the bat, but I'd say there are few people who truly like him as much as I do. I love the sound of his music. You can tell immediately it's him every time, because it just sounds like his music. I can't really go into much detail, because I'd say all of you are Christians and have heard of him. But I simply had to include him because he really is one of my all time favorites!
My favorite songs by him: Speechless, Whatever, Dive, The Change, Live Out Loud, God Is God, See the Glory, All Things New, Only Getting Started, Heaven Is The Face, I Will Trust You, Spring is Coming, Beauty Will Rise
Once again I have to apologize for all these favorites. But I've grown up with this guy... so impossible to choose!

Singer: Michael Buble
Genre: Big band/jazz
A tidbit about why I like him: Well. Maybe his beautiful, soulful voice and big soulful eyes and his way of looking so annoyingly preppy and yet so absolutely perfect that you just want to scream. Once again, my friend Alana kind of got me hooked on his music. I had heard it before, and had some of his music, but it's really been just recently that I've really fallen in love with his perfect voice and 40s/50s jazz-like music, and yet his ability to make it sound so modern and merry. There really isn't anything to not love about his music. His music just makes me so gleeful and bubbly.
My favorite songs by him: Hold On, The Way You Look Tonight (his cover on it), Hollywood, Haven't Met You Yet

Band: The Wallflowers
Genre: Alternative Rock
A tidbit about why I like them: *SQUEE* I love these guys more than I can possibly express. Their music is absolutely driving music. Just that stuff that you want to drive on a long stretch of road to. Jakob is Bob Dylan's son, and he has such a unique voice. This music is so chill and so perfect. My mom bought one of their CDs only a few months ago, but I'm not even joking when I say that we've listened to it hundreds of times. Not an exaggeration at all. My mom and I basically adore this CD, and I don't think I can ever get tired of it, considering that we've already listened to it hundreds of times and haven't gotten tired of it.
My favorite songs by them: One Headlight, Bleeders, Angel On My Bike, The Difference

Singer: Justin Bieber
Genre: Pop/R&B
A tidbit about why I like him: And now you are freaking out as much as you were with the Jonas Brothers. And understandably. Because JB is the big heart throb among girls today, or as Plugged In online astutely described him, "the latest mop-topped poppet." But as I said, I do know a good pop song when I hear one. Also, I think at least a tiny portion of the reason I like him is simply because so many people are such freaks about him. I don't mind poking a little fun at pop singers, but when it gets to the point where people are jokingly say they want to kill him, please shut your face. It's tiring and immature. Also, I'm sick of the gay jokes about him. I mean honestly, he does have impressive musical talent. And although not all of his songs have made a particular impression on me, I do like a lot of his music. If I just feel like dancing around my room to some music, he's a good choice. His musical skill is pretty fantastic, and even if his voice is higher pitched than most, that doesn't mean it's not super impressive and awesome. So yeah... that's all I have to say about this fantastic mop-topped poppet.
My favorite songs by him: Pray, One Time, Never Say Never, Somebody to Love, Next to You (actually a Chris Brown song, but I love this song, and Justin Bieber's contribution to it, a lot), Love Me, U Smile

Band: The Avett Brothers
Genre: Folk Rock
A tidbit about why I like them: I've grown up listening to a lot of bluegrass music, and these guys are the epitome of awesome in that department. They are a perfect mix of bluegrass and rock. I heard of these guys a while ago, but I really got into their music a few months ago when I had the opportunity of hearing them in concert. And these guys. Are. AMAZING. In concert. They make you want to scream, go wild, and heck, they're playing bluegrass. That's pretty talented. I love the excitement and energy they put into their music. They're so creative. I love that their voices aren't flawless. They're almost a little off key, but it's so perfect for their kind of music. And what I love more than anything is that in one CD or one concert, they can sound like a rock band, The Beatles, and a bluegrass band. It's so amazing, because they all seem to go perfectly together. They're fantastic.
My favorite songs by them: Will You Return, The Ballad of Love and Hate, I Would Be Sad, Kick Drum Heart, Die Die Die, Paranoia in B Major, January Wedding, Swept Away, Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise, And It Spread, Pretty Girl From San Diego, Slight Figure of Speech

Band: Relient k
Genre: Punk Rock
A tidbit about why I like them: Um. What is not to like about these guys? They nearly reach perfection of music. In one song you're dieing laughing, and in the next they're pulling your heartstrings. This band is one of the best. I remember I used to be a little ticked because they called themselves a Christian band, but didn't really play that much Christian music. And yeah, it is annoying they call themselves a Christian band. They may be Christians, but they don't play much Christian music. But that doesn't bother me much anymore, because I do appreciate their music. In fact, I love it. Adore it. It's typical fare for me and my brother to be driving down the road blasting some good 'ol Relient k. Lovelovelove their music.
My favorite songs by them: Forward Motion, Be My Escape, In Love With the 80s, College Kids, I Am Understood?, Getting Into You, Trademark
Oh. And get their Christmas album. Best. Christmas album. Ever. Not even joking.

Singer: Taylor Swift
Genre: Country/Pop
A tidbit about why I like her: So. For a while, I was afraid of saying Taylor Swift was one of my favorite singers. Because I didn't want to seem like that girl who was so crazy obsessed with Taylor that she was all she ever listened to. And, admittedly, I used to be that girl. But after my music tastes started broadening and maturing, I didn't really want to say that she was one of my favorites. But now I shall FEARLESSly say that she is one of my favorites. ;) Reason being, like with Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers, I know she is talented. Why else would she be so famous? Who can write songs like her, or sing like her? I refuse to deny talent just because it's popular. And I can't help but love her music. Tho I won't claim her to be my favorite singer like I used to, I will never deny that she is one of my favorites. Not only is she talented, but her maturity and her humbleness and her clean music in a world of trash will never stop impressing me. She is one of the first pop singers I started listening to, and I love her to this day. It's kind of hard not to.
My favorite songs by her: Fearless, Hey Stephen, The Way I Loved You, Speak Now, Enchanted, Best Day, Last Kiss, Long Live, Tied Together With a Smile, Stay Beautiful, Should've Said No

Band: Nickel Creek
Genre: Bluegrass/Alternative
A tidbit on why I like them: I remember the first time I saw this (^) CD cover. I looked at my mom. I looked at the CD. I looked at my mom again. I pointed at Chris and said, "He has weird hair." My opinion of them has changed a great deal since that first time I saw them. My favorite CD is absolutely their self entitled CD, as shown above. This is the kind of music that makes me want to go to the Smoky Mountains, go to a remote cabin during cold weather, wrap up in a huge sweater and fuzzy blanket, and listen to this music. They get more into alternative music as their CDs go on, but they still are tied to their bluegrass roots.
My favorite songs by them: The Lighthouse's Tale, When You Come Back Down, Robin and Marian, The Fox, Spit on a Stranger, Speak, When In Rome, Jealous of the Moon

Singer: Ella Fitzgerald
Genre: Swing/Jazz
A tidbit about why I like her: Why? Because dang that lady can sing.
My favorite songs by her: They Can't Take That Away From Me, Let's Call The Whole Thing Off
And her Christmas CD is fantastic!

Singer: Josh Bales
Genre: Country
A tidbit about why I like him: Ladies and gentleman, I have come here today to introduce you to the most musically genius man ever. I'm about 99% sure you've never heard of Josh Bales. And that's because he's a pretty much unheard of guy. But this guy has one of the best, most unique voices you'll ever hear. And you really need to go look him up on iTunes right now and buy all his music. I'm honestly a bigger fan of his earlier music that isn't technically country, but even his country music is a joy to listen to. And also, his Christian music is some of the deepest, most worshipful music you'll ever hear. Give him the support he deserves. Because this guy with a beautiful voice should be heard and everyone should know who he is. He's fantastic.
My favorite songs by him: A Hymn For All the World, Good Day, Grey T-shirt (the acoustic version, not the version off of "If I Was a Prince"), Dark Haired Darling, Wind in My Sails, Satisfied, Intimate, The Trial, I Need You, Only the Sinner, Nature of a Romance, Boardgames
(and if you read my Summit post, you'll know that I got to hear him for two weeks straight at camp, and met him the last day! whoooo!)


Band: David Crowder Band
Genre: Christian Rock
A tidbit about why I like them: Saving best for last.... this band is definitely in my top three favorite bands. I'm usually not a huge fan of Christian music, simply because it all sounds the same. But David Crowder, the second I hear any of their songs, I automatically just want to worship. They're so different. And David? Not only does he look like the local coffee shop type guy, but his voice is incredible. I'm so upset they're breaking up, but the music they have out now is something that I know I'll continue to listen to for years to come.
My favorite songs by them: O Praise Him, Only You, Here Is Our King, Wholly Yours, The Glory of It All, How He Loves, All Around Me, Alleluia Sing


So sorry for this unbelievably long post. But hopefully I haven't completely bored you to death. -giggle-
Goodnight all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for this post :P i needed some new music:) and i don't think your crazy for liking JB and the jonas brothers! I won't admit it, but i do like most of their music! (even tho i'm not a fan of 'When you look me in the eyes') :P
Haley :D

Mia said...

Aww, thank you so much for the comment, Madison! Really, you're so sweet to say those things. And what do you mean about "wishing you had a way with words?" Your writing is awesome!

I see that you went to Summit this summer! So amazing. I went to Worldview Academy in June, which is like, unofficially affiliated with Summit. Have you ever heard of it? They basically teach the same stuff. Anywho, thanks again for the comment!

Blessings!

Unknown said...

You're welcome Haley. ;) lol

Ahaha, I completely disagree with you Mia, but thanks anyway. :) Oh my yesh, I have heard of the Worldview Academy! Don't know much about it, but I've definitely heard of it. That is so neat! And you're welcome! You really should post more. I absolutely adore your blog <3