Wednesday, March 16, 2011

-music is an outburst of the soul-

Ah. So I know that I just previously did a post on piano. But I can't help but do another one. For some reason, lately I have just fallen in love with piano. I've been just sitting at the piano actually wanting to play. You see, I seem to play this game with my piano - it includes hating it for about three months, and then falling in love with it anew and adoring it with every ounce I can muster. I've been playing as much as I can with as much passion as I can. As Ludwig van Beethoven put it, "To play without passion is inexcusable!" Mhmm. So very true.
As of right now, I'm terribly excited, because I have an excuse to play and play and play. That reason being - it appears that I will soon be working on 10 pieces. I'm working on two sections of a Beethoven sonata (Op. 2 No. 3), the piece called Soft Lights, Chopin's Nocturne in E-flat Major, Mozart's Concerto in G Major, maybe a Bach invention or two, Moszkowski's Etude in A flat Major, and my piano teacher wants to start me on a Scarlatti sonata, an impromptu by Schubert, and a partita by Bach. So I'm very very excited and happy about it. Not to mention I want to learn some stuff by myself - some Jim Brickman, George Winston (only the best pianist ever), some hymn arrangements, and maybe - possibly - some Schumann. Not to mention I like coming up with things myself. But that's the plan for now.
I shall leave all of you off with this quote from what I was writing in my journal this afternoon concerning piano:
"It brings me joy. It's fun and awesome. I dunno what made me suddenly fall in love with it again. It's like around the competition and Festival I fell in love with it. Actually... come to think of it, it happened around this one time... So Adam [my youth pastor] taught a message on the parable of the talents, and he was saying how we should use everything God gave us. And while we were discussing it in small group, it hit me that I wasn't using all my talents on piano. I realized God has given me a talent for piano (both literally and figuratively ;), and if I don't use it, I am dishonoring God. After that, plus the fact I had the competition and Festival coming up, I put 30 minutes to an hour in every day, when previously I had only been putting in two or three hours a week [and yes, actually surviving pretty well with it, if I do say so myself], at best. But God will bless me if I used my talent to His glory. He wants me to use it to His glory. And I want to use it to His glory. Perhaps it's like Eric Liddell says about running in Chariots of Fire, 'I believe God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.' I mean... that's how I feel when I play piano. I don't always feel that way. But I know He has given me something He hasn't given everybody. I need to grasp it, hold on to it as tightly as I can and give it my all."


P.S. Watch this guy play piano. I'm hoping to death this will be the impromptu that I get, because it's gorgeous. I want to play like this guy sooooo flippin bad. He's the epitome of musical.

No comments: