Saturday, March 5, 2011

Coffee & Antique Saturday

I have to say that today was quite an exquisite day. Nothing terribly special. But I have a feeling I'm going to remember this day very well. Today was the first Saturday in probably two or three months when there wasn't something going on, so my mom and I seized the day and decided to do some fun stuff. Our first stop was the florist, because my dad and I are going to a Father Daughter Dinner at our church tomorrow night, and I have to have flowers. They're super pretty. Pink & white roses. Doesn't exactly match my blue dress, but they were nearly out of flowers, so it was all I could get. After getting the flowers, we returned home to eat a quick lunch, and then we scurried out in some drizzly weather to go to a furniture store downtown. It was quite a nice little place, and rather frigid cold, might I add. But my mom is redoing a lot of our living room & library, so she wants some new chairs and such. After going there, we went to a quaint and almost eccentric local coffee shop. They have just recently redone a lot of it, and I was so excited. The place is rather large now, with lots of couches and little deviant chairs in the nice nooks and crannies that little local coffee shops seem to have. My mom and I got some coffee and went off to a nice couch in about the middle of the coffee shop, where it was convenient for me to observe some of the people who were in the coffeehouse. I had a marvelous time picking out people and deciding what kind of life they lived, or what kind of personality they have. The thing I love about this cafe is it has the truly beatnik people there. Starbucks, okay, it has some beatnik people from time to time. But local coffeehouses have that particular type of person that is just so interesting to watch. You know the kind. The guy in the corner with skinny jeans and a goatee and glasses. Or the girl with a cute beret reading a book of free verse poetry. For some reason I love to watch those kinds of people and guess about their lives. They're so different, and have a free personality, of sorts. Today I got to observe a young man, probably 25-ish, reading a book while listening to probably some alternative music, sitting in a nook, wearing a rather beatnik hat. And a girl who I believe works at Starbucks came in wearing something like a beret. And then there was a college student, who my mom and I both believed to be a medical student. Oh. And the guy in the corner playing his banjo the whole time. It was... to put it plain and simple - awesome.
After we went to the coffeehouse, we went off to a cute little antique mall. I haven't been to an antique mall in a while, so I was very excited to be able to go. My mom and I quietly walked through all the hallways filled with... well... mostly junk. But every now and then I found a cool little treasure. There was even an exquisitely elegant wedding dress with a full train in there. It was gorgeous... but unfortunately, I have no need for one yet, so I had to pass it by. ~wink~ There were also several beautiful paintings in there, and chairs that could be reupholstered, and little nick-nacks and such. But none were such to my taste that I actually bought anything. But they were excellent picture material, which unfortunately, I didn't realize until about 15 minutes before we left (I'm still training my photographer eye, you see). But in the time that I did take pictures, I got some neat ones, which are the ones you see scattered throughout this post. Anyway, my mom ended up buying a couple of chairs that she had been looking at for about a week now. They are in desperate need of reupholstering, but they're rather cute chairs. I may do a post of them being reupholstered, so we'll see.
Anyway, that is a summary of my delightful day spent with my mom on this dreary, drizzly, but most fantastic Saturday.

So I hope all of you have a blessed Sunday. Love to all

~Madison

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, girl. I love the way you write!

And I love the kind of coffeeshop you are referring to... it's the only kind I go to. ;) In fact, I think I may be half beatnik myself! Thank you so much for this lovely post and all the pictures... a post on the reupholstering of the chairs (before and after or something!) would be really interesting and way cool!

Hope the rest of your weekend is beautiful. :)

-Brianne