Thursday, May 12, 2011

{deeper go the days than ever art can capture}

"I tend to see beauty in things people see as very normal. I see great beauty in Converse. In a laugh. I see beauty in words on a page. I see beauty in a smile from a stranger. I see beauty in a local coffee house. I see beauty in paintings. I see beauty from the wise eyes of an older person. I see beauty in tears needing to be shed. I see beauty in dogs tracking mud in the house. I see beauty in one unexpected snowflake falling. I see beauty in confidence. I see beauty in old hand knit blankets. I see beauty in sun shining on a wood floor. And when people fail to see all that beauty... what's the point in breathing in and out everyday? I hope I never stray too far away from this beauty that is constantly in front of my face. I think my ability to see common things as beautiful is part of what makes me so generally happy. When you skip over a hand made present from God, you skip over a lot of peace. A lot of joy. 'Deeper go the joys we know than words we find to show them. Deeper go the days we know than ever art can capture. The raptures and the reveries no language can contain. Our hearts are moved in simple ways - a sunset or a season; what we feel we can't reveal, no matter how we've tried.' Those are parts of a song I was listening to today that I've heard hundreds of times, and yet never heard. It expresses how I feel about my life. I can't express the beauty - the simple beauty - I see in life. I may not be the most talented person ever. I may not be the most beautiful person ever. I may not be able to sing or act or draw. But something I can do that I don't think many people are gifted with: I can see beauty like few people can. Every person can see beauty. But not many people can see beauty in things that aren't necessarily beautiful. There is beauty in tears and hard times. And through this beauty I find much joy. God has blessed us with this beauty. And I find joy in that. Deeper go the days than ever art can capture. What we feel we can't reveal no matter how we've tried."

~An excerpt from my journal



No comments: