Friday, November 12, 2010

~serenity~

Serenity.
Something I haven't had enough of lately.
I think there is just something in the human soul that requires some amount of serenity. Away from the hustle and bustle of people, school (or work, as the case may be), and just life in general. One of my favorite ways to gain some serenity is going out into God's marvelous creation - especially around this time of year! - and just enjoy a cool breeze and a bird's song and the changing leaves.
But however we find quiet, I think we are indeed supposed to find it. Think about all the times Christ went out seeking quiet to be with His Father. Just one example is Matthew 14:23 - "And after He [Jesus] had dismissed the crowds, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. When evening came, He was there alone." Jesus is often found in the gospels going out into the wilderness to pray to God. Spending time alone with our Savior is the most calming thing ever, and it rejuvenates us so we can go out into the world and live for Him.
We all get tired sometimes. We all get this feeling at some point that we can't keep going. That we need to stop. Breathe. Look at the stars. Think. Sing. Pray. Just something that will get us away from everything and get us alone long enough that we can really live life.
I think I could really learn this lesson.... this week alone, I have: done a drama at my church, gone to mock trial meetings, done school, had a piano lesson, played for a children's choir, planned, put together, and held an annual activity for our homeschool group with my brother and friend, went to chorus, ran a 5k... so you get the picture. Not once this week I have just sat down quietly to read my Bible and pray. And how do I feel right now? Fine. But sort of.... bland. I nearly never make time to just be silent and be still. And I think this goes as much for everyone else as it does for me. We are going so much that we don't take time to just sit quietly before God.
And especially as the holiday season approaches (ah, yet again), I think we could all spend a little time just resting. When you find yourself stressing about Thanksgiving's fried turkey, Christmas presents (gosh, what ARE you going to get for your second cousin once removed?) , getting the house ready for guests.... well you'll probably end up feeling a little Grinch-ish right? Well of course. Because we were not created to spend our time constantly running. Neither were we created to sit around and do nothing. But there is a balance of rest and quiet and busyness. And we have to find that balance, especially this time of year. So hopefully we all can find some quiet as the holidays approach.
And maybe I'll find some more time to blog? (haha)


~Madison

No comments: